KICB-FM is a 240-watt non-commercial educational radio station, broadcasting seven days per week from the Iowa Central Community College campus. KICB has been on the air since 1971 and is the only FCC licensed, student managed community college radio station in the state of Iowa! Students in theTV/Radio Production program gain valuable on-air experience from the start of their first semester and are able to apply classroom skills directly to on-air performance and programming at KICB.
Iowa Central Community College’s TV/Radio Production Program provides hands-on experience and training for a careers in the radio and televison industry. From writing to announcing, sales to sports, production to programming, we’ll teach you the skills you need to know in order to succeed in this highly competitive industry.
Through our program, you’ll learn how to prepare effective resumes and audition tapes, gain valuable interviewing experience, and make contact with industry leaders. When it comes to getting that first job, Iowa Central gives you and edge over the competition.
Benefits of Broadcasting at Iowa Central Community College
Hands on Technical Training and Experience
- Students are on the air at 88.1 KICB-FM during their first semester of training
- All course work ties directly into on air experiences at KICB
- Students gain practical, real world experience in every aspect of the radio industry
Professional Internship Experience
- Students will add at least one other professional radio station to the experience on their resume, following an eight-week summer internship at the station of their choice
- Many students are hired for part-time and full-time jobs in a radio broadcast career as a result of their internship experiences
- There are many part-time opportunities at stations in Fort Dodge and the surrounding area
State of the Art Software & Equipment
- Students will utilize audio consoles, Mackie Mixer, mini disc and CD players, Music Master scheduling software and Audio Vault on-air software
- Students gain hands-on experience in digital recording, multi-track editing, mixing and post production for a variety of applications
- Students are trained in multi-track digital editing using Adobe Audition and Acid Xpress, two of the most widely used digital editing software programs in the radio industry today
Join us today go to www.iowacentral.edu/admissions to apply now.